White-marked Tussock Moth (Orgyia leucostigma)

Description:

As adults, tussock moths are brown and nondescript. On the other hand, the larvae are quite spectacular. My wife served as caterpillar wrangler and held the plant stem for the shot.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 200mm f4 (1/160sec at f18, ISO 1250, fill flash-2ev) slight crop for comp, DeNoise, Levels. Shadows and Highlights adjusted in Lightroom.
Is this a composite? no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

2 Likes

Wow, Jim, this is really nice. Details obtained throughout the caterpillar, and that nice background makes him stand out nicely. It sure doesn’t look like you used a flash either. Excellent in every way, in my opinion. I can’t think of anything that would improve it.

1 Like

That is one heck of a caterpillar. Funny how nature works this way sometimes. I love that your wife helped out. Sometimes my husband has been called into duty to hold branches out of a scene so I can get a cleaner shot. As this is a pretty literal approach to presenting this critter, the only thing I can think of is possibly a scosh of saturation…that pink!

1 Like

Very nice detail, good background, and I like the slight curve to the caterpillar. Well done.

1 Like

Jim …love the depth you have achieved here. I have tried a few times with this and did not compose very well.

You have done a beautiful job here.

Balan Vinod

1 Like

WOW! Such wonderful detail to show off this amazing creature! The dynamic pose, starting to wrap itself around the stem, is a very nice touch!

1 Like

A really good look at this caterpillar. Really good detail, dof and action.

1 Like

Hi Jim, nice view of this caterpillar and great you got all of it sharp. Very interesting subject. Do these caterpillars deliver a sting or are they harmless?

1 Like

I love this one a lot Jim. Excellent sharp detail. the color background is a plus to this photo

1 Like

Wow! Beautiful caterpillar! It looks like a feather on the right side! You captured it perfectly, thanks to your wife! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Beautiful - exciting and it makes me very curious - thanks

1 Like

You’ve inspired me to post a shot of an Erebidae larva I saw the other day, Jim. Very nice shot and you composed it excellently. @Allen_Sparks the hairs can cause allergic reactions, so be careful.

1 Like

Thank you @Allen_Sparks, @Shirley_Freeman, @Vanessa_Hill, @Kris_Smith, @Diane_Miller, @Balan_Vinod , @tom2m, @Mike_Friel, @Dean_Salman, and @David_Leroy. I am also pleased with the plethora of caterpillar photos that followed this one. Caterpillars have a lot of character and they are very photogenic critters. Some people are quite sensitive to the hairs which results in contact dermatitis as Mike pointed out.

1 Like