Wind at my back

In the Texas hill country it is either “gale winds” or “dead still.”

A couple of weeks ago it was windy. My idea was to illustrate a windy image by selecting one focal point and watching/photographing it. The flower is a type coreopsis which grows wild around here.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is it too windy? Is there enough definition to understand what the image is? Other comments and thoughts are always welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Cropped 1:1 (to about 75%). PS: Did a luminosity mask to lighting the flower slightly and dodge the edges to add a slight vignetting effect. Also added a curve layer to lighten a bit. Other comments??

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, F/40, 1/5sec., iso100, 70-300mm@200mm, tripod.

Very interesting take on the affects of the wind, Linda. I never thought about trying that before. Very creative. I don’t think it is “too windy”.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley. I used the backdrop of the rocks to help stabilize the scene. Still working on the effect.

1 Like

Cooooool! To me, the effect is the flower is beaming it strength upward, which I think is dramatic. Keep at this; you are onto something. I wondered if the effect was in-camera motion, but only the flower was kinetic. So then I figured you selected the flower color and induced motion blur with processing.
Then I read your notes.
I think the effect would be stronger if the rocks were less soft. The leaves do not seem to be in motion, just out of focus, similar to the rocks.

Good point Dick. I’ll be giving that a try on our next windy day! Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Linda: This works for me as is and something else you could consider playing with is some fill flash which ought to give you some sharpness along with the motion blur. I did a similar thing with Weathering the Storm. It’s fun to experiment and one never knows how it will come out. Well done here. >=))>

Thanks Bill. I like the idea of using fill flash, not done much of that in the past, but like experimenting and being surprised. Always fun. Thanks for your comments.

Linda, the “flowing”, glowing flower is a neat subject and it stands out well. A fine, creative experiment. A version with the rocks behind sharp would make a fascinating comparison, although I’m not sure it would be better.

Thanks Mark. Going to give this a try next time we get a good breeze.