Yellow-cromned Night-heron

Went for a a good walk down the harbor and hoped I’d catch a low tide as the jetty can provide some good opportunities. This species is considered uncommon in So Cal, but this transplant has prospered and been here for a few years. I captured a few images of some very young immature YCNH herons as well. I’ll post one a little later.

Specific Feedback Requested

I liked the low late light and how it lit up the heron and the two rocks it was on, so I thought I would decrease the saturation on the other rocks and water in Lr and let the bird take full stage. Too dark? (There is a "bird on a stick " category…how about a “bird on a rock” category ?)

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 200-500 at 420mm, f5.6 @1/200 ISO 500 hand held.

1 Like

Hi Stephen. I like the way you processed this. The background is very mellow and does let the bird take center stage without feeling overdone to me. Detail in the heron is very good. Ideally a lower angle would have been nice, but that’s very difficult to do on a jetty. I’m glad they used such nice dark rocks on this one-it makes for much better photography than light colored rocks.

Agree with Dennis. Nicely framed and superb DOF.

Hi Stephen
The lower sun, gave this Heron a nicer look and also helped bring out more of the feather detail. Nice work.
Peter

I like the quality of the light and the light on the Heron. I think the image feels very tight in the frame. I don’t see comments about this being full frame or not. If cropped, I’d look at more room, especially on the bottom and the left.

Thanks for the input and all your comments @Dennis_Plank @David_Schoen @peter much appreciated. @Keith_Bauer thanks for inpuit, the image was posted as full frame without crop and I see that it does look a little tight ,appreciate the good input.