Another Great Egret

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another bird from yesterday, with later light and a little more color in the lore. And a red eye – is that a common variation with these guys?

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome! The tail plume looks a little odd because part of it is in the bird’s shadow. It would be easy to remove the brighter parts.

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 3.08.58 PM

Not much done – highlights and shadows in LR, denoise in PS (same method as in yesterday’s egret) and a touch on saturation to the head and beak.

1 Like

Beautiful, Diane. I prefer the lighting you got on this one to the earlier post. I’m not seeing a red eye-just looks a bit more saturated orange than the usual yellow to me. I don’t know how much variation there is in the eyes-an interesting question. The tail plume doesn’t bother me-there’s enough illumination of the shadowed part to make it out.

There’s quite a bit of difference in the eyes, which I think I’ve seen before but would have to look back at a lot of shots to be sure. Not as red as some eyes, but it strikes me as more than just the light.

Definitely a significant difference. I don’t have many shots of this species in breeding condition, but I can look back at those times I might have gotten some. It’s definitely oranger than I recall ever seeing.

Nice nest building image here Diane. The eye is really orange red here, which offsets those amazing lime green lores. Nice job handling the whites.

A very nice comp and the lighting is handled perfectly. The eye color works well with the greens on the lores…Jim

Nice catch Diane - the shadow of the stick on the wing is pretty cool. I noticed the unique eye color too - not sure if that is just a variant or what. Interesting though. Nice composition, wing position and exposure. Well done.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Ed_Williams, @Jim_Zablotny and @Allen_Sparks. Maybe the first one (with the yellow eye) was just a little low on breeding hormones. I think the color intensifies during breeding season? But that’s about the only time I see them.

Hi Diane
This is a very nice look at Great Egret.
Peter

Thanks, @peter! Too many of them have been wading in the mud!

Really nice job on this. I like the point of view. Nice and sharp. Great wing position in the twig is an added plus

Eye color as well as the plumage around the beak and eyes change color when they are in breeding mode.

Thanks, @David_Schoen and @Chris_Calohan! I didn’t know about the eye color change – I’ll try to add it to the faltering memory database. So much to know about birds!!

1 Like