Bees at my new home update

Updated

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

we moved to Green Valley AZ and the house has some nice flowers in the yard. I wanted to get back to photographing these bees although still hot and humid here.

Specific Feedback

I had pretty strong sunlight but waited for the clouds to block it since storms were building up. Suggestions welcome

Technical Details

R6 ii with RF 100-500 at 500mm 1/200 f/14 iso 2000. I masked that background to dim it down to bring out the subject

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Nice composition, Dean. I like the way you framed this. You might want to clean up that leaf entering the lower right corner. For some reason, there seems to be quite a bit of noise in the bee’s left wing, but I don’t see any significant problem elsewhere.

Apart from Dennis’s point about the corner, I don’t see how this could be improved. You could maybe crop out a bit of the right side to the tip of the pale-green leaf. The position of the bee, overall focus and composition are all spot-on. And you worked the BG very well too.

Thanks, @Mike_Friel and @Dennis_Plank I fixed the corner, not sure how I missed that.

1 Like

Nice work on this Dean. I really like the colors. You handled them very well, not oversaturating the reds as would have been easy to do. Nice work with the edits. You can actually put the edited version on top so it is the one people see in the thumbnail if you prefer.

thanks for letting know that, I switched them

1 Like

wonderful colours and a tack-sharp bee -
The edit is excellent. Fine work!

1 Like

Nice image and very nice cleanup. You could also prune the leaves just poking into both top corners and the left frame edge.

Dean: My last living aunt and uncle lived in Green Valley several years ago before moving back to the Pacific Northwest and I always enjoyed visiting them on our way to Scottsdale to see our son and his family. I really like your comp, the perch and the bee. Great detail and color management and the clean up has made an already good image even better. :+1: :+1:>=))>