Belgian Lace

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was kneeling on the flagstone in my front yard, trying out my Macro lens. Hard on the knees, to be sure! The soft, fuzzy textures of the Dusty Miller and Angel Wing leaves fascinate me.

Specific Feedback

Macro photography is new to me. Any feedback is most welcome. Trying to minimize the background was challenging because of the darker areas that couldn’t be avoided.

Technical Details

Sony a7iv with a macro 2.8/90 lens, ICO 6900 f/ll 1/60 sec. On tripod
Processed in LR and PS using Topaz DeNoise and luminosity masking from TK9 filters.

1 Like

I find this very eye-catching. The OOF stuff in the URC is a little distracting; maybe it could be darkened a bit.

Barbara, I like this one even better than your previous shot. The shapes and textures are really nice. You might could try what @Ronald_Murphy suggested, and just see what that does for the image. I’m okay with it like it is, as that leaf seems to be a repetition to the shapes that are in focus.

As for hard on the knees, you are so right. Especially for someone like me who’s hair isn’t as dark as it used to be, and so now also dealing with arthritis in the knees. I have a pair of knee pads that I use when I know I am going to be getting down low. They help a lot.

1 Like

I really love the surface textures in these plants, Barbara. You found a very nice composition. I don’t mind the darker background areas, though there’s just the tip of another leaf sticking into the top of the frame just left of center that you might want to remove.

One nice thing about macro of stationary objects is that it’s not very difficult to come up with an artificial backdrop for your subject if you need one.

PS I think that leaf surface texture would make a great starting point for an abstract image.

Barbara. the textures and shape here are eye catching, well seen. My on thought is to move the camera just a bit up and left to get slightly more separation between that “birds foot” of leaf and the big semi-circle of leaf in the lower right. The detailed textures are very interesting and yes, I could see a semi-abstract of that three lobed leaf by itself.

I reworked the image with the excellent input from @Mark_Seaver , @Dennis_Plank , @Shirley_Freeman , @Ronald_Murphy . Thank you all for taking the time to comment. I did not retake the image; I just did a bit of masking and cloning to get the one leaf separated from the larger leaf. Thanks PS!

A subtle but effective change, Barbara.

Barbara, that improved it. Good work.

Thanks to you both @Shirley_Freeman and @Dennis_Plank . The encouragement is so helpful.

1 Like

Barbara: Sorry to be so late to the party but I did want to comment. Don’t have much to add regarding the image and I do like your rework. Something I have found indispensable for macro work is a good pair of carpenter’s or carpet layer’s knee pads. You can find all kinds of options at Lowes or Home Depot. Mine have lots of interior padding and a hard flat contact surface that works great on the driveway or sidewalk and on jagged lava or gravel or when the grass is wet. Might be the best $$$ you can spend on non-photo gear. >=))>

I have knee pads for my gardening, but I am uncomfortable with them. What you suggest sounds more workable. I was using a pad I have for the dog bed! Bill, thanks for your encouragement.