Covered Bridge, Santa Cruz Redwoods

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love this old covered bridge in Felton, CA. It’s a favorite place to make portraits but none of the portraits I was making that day spoke to me. Instead I was drawn to bridge itself, the light at the end of the bridge. I waited for someone to walk across the bridge and that created for me a much more evocative and perhaps melancholy scene.

Specific Feedback

Do the dark areas of the image work effectively? How is the contrast? How does the black and white work?

Technical Details

ISO 100, F9, 1/25 second, 70mm

It all works very well for me, Irene! :slight_smile:

Covered bridges are a favorite for me, I like everything about them and the details of the structure of this one are well displayed by the light coming from the opening at the end as well as the top of the sides!
The pedestrian adds a lot because it adds life to the scene (literally and figuratively), it makes this scene dynamic in my view. The fact that pedestrian is walking along the side tells me that this is a route that sees at least some traffic because s/he’s being cautious by not waking down the middle of the bridge. The pedestrian also adds a nice sense of scale. It’s an impressive bridge!
The wrought iron corbels are a nice touch and is unusual for covered bridges here on the east coast, there are a few but it’s rare.

I like the B&W presentation because of the intertwining shapes, the slightly soft focus adds to the artistic delivery for me.
I’m mildly curious about the wreath in the gable, I wonder if it’s in remembrance of someone special? It doesn’t matter really, but it is a source of curiosity.

I hope you can tell that I like the image and the subject. It is well composed, well processed and well presented! :slight_smile:

Thank you, Mervin! It’s the tallest covered bridge in the US and cars no longer travel on it, but I can see why you thought that.

1 Like

Hi Irene,

I had to do a quick search for this bridge because it’s so interesting.
It now being a pedestrian bridge only makes sense and it’s cool that they built a park around it.

“Felton Covered Bridge Park” is an appropriate name for it and it looks like a great place to do portraits. :slight_smile:
I’m glad they rebuilt it after the tree disaster in 1983.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Ha, you were responding as I was typing this comment! :roll_eyes:

It is a classic place to do portrait photography and I once took a portrait class that went to this location.

Sounds like one of your favorite spots, Irene :slight_smile:

Thank you! :slight_smile: