Crashing Wave at Seawall

No tech details on this one as it was taken back in the day with an F5 and 35 mm Velvia. This particular scene was captured one evening at Seawall in Acadia NP. I have tried to replicate this image with digital on several occasions, but have not had any luck with catching the same conditions. Maybe this year will be the charm.:crazy_face:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I love that water splash, Ed, and the belt of Venus is nicely rendered. I am, however, not quite sure about the moon. I think it’s a good element but its placement makes it seem to be a little of an afterthought.

The light and color pallette are very special. Looks like 10th second exposure.

Great splash capture and wonderful sky color gradient. For me, the moon is more of a distraction than an addition, but that is a personal vision decision. Boy, the old film days. I don’t miss scanning and dust spotting 4x5 chromes! :slight_smile: Good stuff here.

One of my favorites, Ed.
:vulcan_salute:

Great image! I like the solid, textured rocks anchoring the bottom and then the fireworks up above.

Ed,

I’m pretty sure I would have recognized this as Velvia even before your description! Beautiful Velvia colors. Great capture and timing to get the peak spray.

Difficult to be critical here. Wait, is that horizon level? :thinking: :wink:

Lon

A nice change of pace from all the rivers, Ed. That’s a really cool splash and having it against the mellow sky works very well.

Ed: Great timing and wonderful color palette. I miss using Velvia. I still have some in my freezer and we’re fixing to make a Colorado/Wyoming trip in a couple of weeks. I’m getting the itch to break out my trusty Minolta M7 and shoot some slides. I always enjoy the looks I get when the film winder engages and folks think it must be some weird sound effect. Thanks for a fine image and stirring up old memories. >=))>

Agreed with the others about that color!

I hear what @Adhika_Lie is saying about the moon. In my images, I always struggle with how the eye appreciates it different than the camera at anything near a wide angle.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys @Adhika_Lie, @David_Schoen, @Harley_Goldman, @Michael_Lowe, @James_Abraham, @Lon_Overacker, @Dennis_Plank, @Bill_Fach and @John_Williams. They are always appreciated. I hear you about the moon @Adhika_Lie, @Harley_Goldman and @John_Williams. I thought about both cloning it out and moving it a little but just decided to go with the status quo. @Bill_Fach I too have some Velvia in the freezer and get the itch to get it out occasionally.

Ed, this is both lovely and dynamic. The colors in the sky and water are very inviting. The combo of the splash and the moon adds a great sense of place. I too have several scans from slides that I’ve tried to “mimic” in digital without success. It shows how rare it is that everything comes together for a memorable image.