Dancing on a flower Update

Update

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At the botanical gardens and found this flower the bees seem to enjoy. I liked the position of the flower bee and the way the pollen on her looked.

Specific Feedback

I made it a square crop. Is it kind of bright?

Technical Details

r7 rf 100 f/2.8 macro 1/1250 f/10 ISO 1000 I darken and desaturated the background. Also a little on the flower. Used Topaz Photo AI

Dean, he does look like he is dancing! Wonderful details in the bee and the flowers. Unfortunately, at f10 (or the BG was too close to the subject) also made the BG a bit busy for my taste, but still very much workable. You might could darken the brighter areas in the BG a little. I don’t think the flowers, or the bee are too bright. The exposure looks good. I love the curving of the four blooms, to me it’s a nice symmetric. I could see a bit more room on the right to give the bee more room to move, but he doesn’t look crowded as is. Really nice shot as presented.

Great catch, Dean. The flower looks about right for brightness to me. I agree with Shirley that a tad more room on the right would be nice if you have it. The background is a bit of a distraction. It would take some very careful masking, but I think you could blur it a bit and even out the tonality with a curves adjustment.

2 Likes

Dean: I’ll echo Shirley and Dennis on the BG. I’ve been playing a little with some of the new AI tools in PS and bet you could isolate and tame the BG with blur and contrast adjustments. Still a fine capture of this little busy one. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, @Shirley_Freeman , @Dennis_Plank, and @Bill_Fach. The updated photo was using PS Generative Fill. I selected the subject and flowers and inverted the selection. Then used the keyword background with the generative fill. I then did a curve adjustment to reduced the exposure (blending layer LUM) It was not a perfect selection or had to use the brushed about 40% in areas. Then added a saturation clipping on top to reduce it. The generative fill did have a pattern in the background that Topaz Photo AI took out. Finally used the remove tool in PS to fix everything else. I will work more with generative fill to see if I get better with it.

Next time I will just tell the subject fly over there. :grinning:

That sounds like a lot of work, but I like it, Dean. It is all about the bee and the beautiful flowers he is dancing on.

1 Like

Nice job, Dean. It looks really good.

1 Like

Dean: I like what you did with the update. Top notch effort. >=))>