Fiery Fissures

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m wondering if this elicits any feelings other than a recognition of what it is. It’s somewhat of an abstract subject but clearly recognizable.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This a small section of a canyon through which the St Joe River flows in Idaho. It turned out to be a fishing trip, although the intention was to photograph this wonderful area. I’ve learned if any member isn’t interested in photography then no photography gets done.

Technical Details

GFX 50R, 45-100mm, f/11, focus stacked.

Specific Feedback

All

1 Like

I really like the arrangement and light in this scene. Must have been some difficult choices to make, but this works. It makes me think of pressure, the passage of time and a past outside of human scale.

I like it, that’s my type of photography mostly. The only suggestion I have would be to remove some of the small white specks, I think they are distracting.

I see an intensity of colors that can only come from time and a history perhaps we will never know or understand. But mostly I love zooming in and creating close up abstract configurations from portion of the image.
Fascinating, Igor. Thanks for sharing it with us.

1 Like

What I see? Beautiful colors, excellent fighting of lights and shades, perfect sharpness and a good composition of a fine scuplture of the nature. Splendid.

Igor, your image is like a stage . It brings me a feeling of “Looking for a hiding place”. Also because of the colors , lights ,shades and sharpness as @Giuseppe_Guadagno describes. I like this kind of work ,where I have to think and not always have an answer. Again with Giuseppe Splendid !!

1 Like

Igor: Love the color palette especially and that there’s no clearly discernible scale. Well seen, composed and presented. >=))>

My immediate reaction is a feeling of delicate balance. After that a fascination with the colors and textures.

1 Like

There is a pleasing glow to the fiery fissures Igor. Your composition is well balanced.

I immediately think of stacked balance. The game of Jenga comes to mind where you have to pull out a wooden block and not let the whole thing fall down. I have no sense of scale with this which I like. It could be very small and intimate or huge. The colors are very pleasing and quite complimentary and no one color stands out above the rest. Again, balance but the balance of color. I love the sharp textures and ledges. The only thing that stands out to me is the LLC where there appears to be a chip in the rock and it pulls my eye. I think a crop would work but also a simple healing brush could work as well. There is a sense of mystery about this because of the dark crevices throughout the image. I wonder what’s behind this huge or small scene. The den of a mountain lion or the hiding place of a moth? Could be either. No scale. Lovely image.

1 Like

Igor, I got to the point that I can recognize your image as yours at first glance. This has great colors, light and texture, but there is also something left unspoken. Something happening in the dark where the real stories take place. In the notes not played, the music not heard. I feel you. Thanks for sharing and putting so much feeling into your photographs by just witnessing.

Thank yo for seeing that and pointing it out. You are, of course, right.

@Kris_Smith, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @David_Haynes, @Eva_McDermott, @linda_mellor, @Bill_Fach, @holgermischke, @DeanRoyer, @Giuseppe_Guadagno, @Teep

Thank you for your comments on this one. I think I processed this a bit darker than I intended. Either than or my intentions have changed. I often do my processing at night and therefore the images look brighter than they do during the day. That may have been the cause. Or maybe I just like dark images. For some reason the proper exposure becomes more apparent in the print and I normally print lighter than this.

It is a bit of a moody thing though, isn’t it?

3 Likes