Forest Ghoul

While hiking, I encountered this Forest Ghoul and his pet owl. I didn’t even notice the owl on his shoulder until I went to edit the image.

This is what can happen to you if you stand still too long in a Douglas Fir forest in the Pacific NW :slight_smile:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is great.

Technical Details

1 Like

He is very ghostly indeed, Chris. I also did not notice the owl until you mentioned it. Nice touch for sure. Just curious, was it dark in the forest? What were your settings? Such a fun shot I can’t imagine changing anything.

@linda_mellor It was dark and I used a flash. My settings were 1/80 sec. (handheld), f/5.0, ISO 400. I was using my Sony RX10 IV, which doesn’t do well at a much higher ISO than 400.

1 Like

Is this really a selfie?!

Your flash lit up the ghoul very well while vignetting the rest. It looks fairly benign but you must have felt a tremor while there! The owl is a great extra - both are pretty ragged too.

@JohnSnell @Mike_Friel Thanks!

Quite the pair to run across in a dark forest…great fun, well seen!

This is great, Chris :flushed: Good eyes to see the likeness and the opportunity and a great job of capturing the scene! The ‘owl’ is an excellent little bonus also. They’re both very ragged and thus fit the challenge nicely. Great fun and well done :+1:

Hi Chris,

I definitely wouldn’t stand still too long there if this is what can happen to ya :laughing:

What a cool scene! Even the head looks like an old Golden Retriever, especially the eyes.

The owl looks like it has its own pitch fork, too! :slight_smile:

Yep, definitely “Ragged” :smiley:

Nice find and well presented.

@Merv @Mark_Seaver @Gary_Minish Thanks for your comments!