Fort Pike

Completed in the 1830s, it was in a strategic location at Rigolets Pass, the entrance to Lake Pontchartrain. When I was very young we occasionally visited on the way to New Orleans. It had been equipped with large cannon on the lower levels, but it was never used in battle, serving only as barracks, warehousing, prison facilities and various other uses.

Being attracted to its architecture, more recently I’ve taken lots of images of the interior. The floor level of the structure is only a few feet above high tide, and it has suffered the ravages of several hurricanes, so the past few years it’s been gated closed. Slight crop from right side to remove my damn finger :angry:

E-5, Zuiko 7-14 @7 on tripod of course, ISO 100, 5 sec f9, -1/3EV

That is some really cool architecture, Bill. I love the strip down the floor and the way it leads through the herringbone pattern of the bricks. The arches are also very neat. Sounds like a place that should be preserved rather than fall to ruin.

This is so close in appearance to Fort Sumter off Charleston SC to make me wonder if the same architect was at work. Of course, Sumter got the snot shot out of it to start the civil war. I was just there last spring with a pocket camera, and of course my results bear little resemblance to yours. Really nicely portrayed, and well worth your extra efforts.

Bill, I always like these what I call “tunnel vision” views. They tend to present thoughts of wanting to walk deeper into the scene to find out what might be down toward the end. This FG ceiling area is amazing how it rolls over head here…:+1:
The only thought for change would be to step forward a bit and eliminate the window opening on the right and the doorway on the left. But no deal breaker at all just a thought of presenting a tighter or more of that tunnel look to the scene…:thinking:

@Dennis_Plank, the arcs in the floor were part of the appeal along with all the other arched design aspects. They were for the backswing of the cannon, although I don’t believe any artillery had ever been mounted on the lower level. It’s kind of a shame, but this place has been closed permanently since about 2015. I drive by there on occasion in hopes that it has reopened, but the structure has weakened and frankly unsafe in places.
@Hank_Pennington, I seem to recall some reference to their similar designs. You can google Fort Pike images and you’ll see the similarities
@Paul_Breitkreuz, the curved pathway through the chambers is appealing to me. It was my intent to shoot vertically at max wide angle (14 at 35 equiv.) to show as much of the arc in the ceiling as possible, while keeping the floor as well. I have several others where I’m closer to the main opening into the next chamber that exclude those openings.

Bill: Really cool comp and an intriguing result. Makes me imagine the place full of people and the hustle and bustle of men marching through. The window does grab my eye; less so the doorway so I like Paul’s suggestion of stepping forward just a bit. The light does work really well for you and the detail and textures are marvelous.>=))>

Bill, the vanishing doorways create a terrific sense of depth as well as providing a strong architectural element. The expansive view of the room you’re in looks great with some fine bits of side lighting. Too bad, it’s closed now, it looks like a great bit of history. The large view does an excellent job of putting me right there.

An image that delights in so many ways. The colors, textures and light are working together really well. And then there are the curves. Varying sizes and on different planes too. Just gorgeous.

Bill,

Agree with Anil - there is just so much to enjoy and pull from this. Relating to layers though, this reminds me of what it’s like to look inbetween 2 angled mirrors where the reflection just goes on forevermore - that’s the sense I get here.

As already mentioned, the texture, architecture and light and pov are all working beautifully together here.

Lon