Takeout!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This past July in the Blackhall River, Old Lyme, CT. There seemed to be a lot of osprey activity in this area so I was hanging out in my kayak hoping for some action. I saw this one drop down, probably 150 feet away, and commenced shooting. Tightly cropped, due to the distance and I wanted to exclude a house, utility poles, etc from the background.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-H2, Fujifilm XF70-300 + 1.4X extender, ISO 400, f/6.4, 1/2000s.

Jim, you have caught a fantastic moment. I love the way the leading wing touches the water. The bird is nicely positioned in relationship to the shoreline. There is tension in the fast action of the catch. You mentioned that this is tightly cropped. The feather detail seems rather strange. I am guessing it is related to the cropping that has sacrificed the feathers’ detailing. I also wonder if there are blown-out highlights. I may be wrong. I am just wondering. Did you, by any chance, use Topaz Gigapixal?

@Barbara_Djordjevic , thank you for your kind words. Nope, don’t even know what Topaz Gigapixal is; I generally try to minimize post processing efforts, so the loss of feather detail must be due to the crop.

1 Like

Hi Jim. I agree with Barbara’s comments completely. It definitely looks like there are some whites blown on the osprey-a difficult thing to avoid in full sun. For reference, gigapixel is a photo enlargement package. It can also be used if you need to do an extremely large crop by enlarging the image first, then cropping it. I’ve seen it used with pretty good success at times.

1 Like

Hi Jim! :slight_smile:

I guess “Delivery” is unheard of for the adults but, the juveniles get to take advantage of it all time :roll_eyes:
Had to do it, Jim! :slight_smile:

Seriously though, it’s a great capture for you and the osprey!
It’s a really good action shot with good details, color and depth!
I can tell it’s a heavy crop since the DOF is so deep but the image holds up very well! Gotta love the resolution and image quality of modern cameras!

Very well done, Jim! :slight_smile:

You are welcome. There is so much to celebrate in the scene you captured.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank and @Merv for your comments and guidance.

1 Like

HI Jim
Nice shot, Just a little hot.(whites)
Peter

Thanks Peter and yup, whites are blown out.