The Alien

This is another lake ice image of mine, but it’s different in that it wasn’t shot straight down as I would usually shoot but rather straight on, horizontally. The lake that this ice was on is actually a water reservoir. The lake had frozen a good 10-12" thick before some the the water under the ice was drained and ice dropped down and was broken up by the rocks underneath. Then the sun and warm temperatures polished the sharp edges resulting in this beautiful blue and smooth ice.
When I came across this, I was immediately drawn to it because to me it looked like a face. Do you see it too?

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is most welcome!

Technical Details

2 Likes

I see the face! Really another great image here Tom.

1 Like

Thanks @Matt_Payne !

This made me do a double take Tom. Firstly I saw a map of my beloved New Zealand in the LRC, surrounded by the Pacific Ocean and Tasman sea. Then the big overpowering face of Australia coming in from the west. Just love the colours and textures in this. Cheers.

A pensive alien, maybe shedding a few tears. Tom, the colours and textures grabbed me too, as did the sharpness of all the details. It’s really a first-class icestract (as Mark would call it).

Fascinating patterns and rich colors Tom. The blues are very nice. Wonderful abstract image. I don’t necessarily see the alien face but that’s ok. The line running through the center creates a sort of illusion to the image and gives it a 3D quality to it. Well done!

Tom, the faces shows up very well. I also like the multitude of layers to the right, there’s just enough similarity for them to feel like the repetitive views from a pair of mirrors.

@Phil_G , @Mike_Friel , @Alfredo_Mora , and @Mark_Seaver - thank you all for looking and for your kind comments! :slight_smile:

Tom,

I too see the face - although I see a profile of a face - at least that’s what I think I’m seeing… :slight_smile: Approachng the Crystal skulls of Kingdom in the Indiana Jones film of the same name. :slight_smile:

Love the colors and contrast here as well as the icy details. If anything, my only suggestion is a crop off the right as this approaches the yin-yang, ping-pong effect of the two halves.

Also, when you mention shooting this horizontal, another initial impression is that this was rotated. A possible alternate is a 90deg ccw rotation? Then maybe you lose the face… :frowning:

Terrific image Tom!

Lon

1 Like

Thanks @Lon_Overacker for the feedback! I see what you’re saying with the crop suggestion. It makes sense and is something I will definitely experiment with.