Whisker Bush Beauty

Not having a Macro lens yet I put on a 10x on the outsiders my 14-42 and love Nature’s complex engineering and beautiful design of these 1/2”-1” size flowers. I wanted the single flower in the front in focus and the background line of flowers progressively blurred. My thing I am not fond of, after learning from my brief time here is the small diagonal stem I am starting to find distracting.

What technical feedback would you like if any? All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) single exposure, manual focus, f5.6 that is all I remember now as I am not on my main computer to get the settings.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ken: I like your DOF/POF choice and the overall comp. the stem exiting the frame in the LRC should be easy to eliminate and probably worth the effort. Not sure what the deal is with the second image posted but its interesting too. >=))>

The second image I have no idea how I posted it yet but I will later haha

Ken,

Love the colors and like Bill, also the chosen selective focus and dof. I hadn’t really noticed the stem exiting on the right - I guess it’s sufficiently oof that not too much of a distraction, but can’t argue with the expert… :wink:

The only other comment/question would be what appears to be noise or graininess? High iso or trying to get the effect?

Lon

Your thought process in going from sharp in front gradually getting to soft focus in the rear is sound, but I wish for spot on sharp focus on the foreground flower for it to work. The stem you mentioned, that can be easily removed with content aware/fill. Look forward to more of your images.