Awakening

It was late spring and we were driving through the Redwood forests in Northern California when we entered an area that was filled with a nice thick fog. Not only that, this part of the forest still had rhododendrons that were in bloom! We stopped the car and slowly hiked up a trail, shooting every few steps until we reached the end of where the best of the big redwood trees were. It was at this time, that the fog started to lift and the sun began to shine through. Initially I was disappointed because I had wanted to photograph the trail in the same foggy conditions on the way back, but then I turned around and I saw this beautiful scene. The fog parted just right and the sun shone, like a spot light, on to this one rhododendron bush. I managed to take just three shots before the light was gone. This is one of those images.

13 Likes

A beautiful image and a great moment of light in time. Print it and hang it.

2 Likes

Tom, this is really a wonderful image, and it has so much to do with the spotlight of sunlight right on the rhododendron bush. The fog is still very much a nice part of the image as well. I agree with Harley, print and hang it!

2 Likes

Seeing this as presented Tom, it gives me recall to the movie title “The Light In The Forest”. A real old movie only old timers like me would remember… :cowboy_hat_face:
To get this beam of light so nicely is a true product of you’ve got to be there as often as possible to make things happen. Timing could not have been better… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Incredible timing Tom. What a beautiful image you made from it too. Print it, hang it, enjoy it!

1 Like

Just a lovely image. It’s all about the light, and you captured a magical moment.

1 Like

What a gorgeous scene. Very beautiful colors and lighting.

1 Like

Wonderful color and light. The effect of the lifting fog behind the rhododendrons is fantastic.

1 Like

The story is as good as the image, Tom. Engaging story of a moment captured and an engaging capture of a moment.

I would have guessed the golden light on the rhododendron was a processing optimization but since it wasn’t, which makes me quite pleased, I guess that proves how I shouldn’t assume anything about an image. That light was an amazing gift. You captured it well.

Please describe the magnitude to which you processed this image, or even post the raw file to satisfy our curiosity, if you would.

I also wonder if a crop from the top and bottom to bring the aspect of this image a little closer to square would help - perhaps a 4x5 ratio. To me, it’s a bit top heavy and the brightest sky is nearest the top, and I think that sky detracts.

Regardless, great work Tom!

1 Like

Tom, what a great story, experience and photo. Foggy redwoods and a blooming rhodo seem like a real delight but to then get the spotlight of the blooming rhodo, what a bonus!

1 Like

Flat out gorgeous image, Tom! This is what I would call serendipity as your timing was perfect. The lighting; particularly on the rhodie; and mood you captured here is exquisite as are those wonderful greens. If you were so inclined I could see a small crop from the top down to just past the small section of sky. I hope you don’t mind, but here is a rework with what I was thinking. Not necessarily better just another option. This had to be a wonderful moment. You should print this large and hang it on the wall.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone @Ed_Lowe, @Mark_Seaver, @Matt_Lancaster, @Harley_Goldman, @Shirley_Freeman, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @David_Haynes, @Keith_Bauer, @Mark_Muller, @David_Schoen for taking the time to comment on my image. It was a really special day and I will always treasure the moment and memory. And by the way, this image is one of my few that I now have hanging on my wall :slight_smile: .

Ed, I quite like your suggested crop and think that I will adopt it. I originally left more of the sky in thinking it added context to the light spot on the rhododendron but I can see now that it isn’t really necessary to have so much of it there.

Matt, the light on the rhododendron was definitely not artificially created in post although I will admit that it may appear that way. As I already mentioned, that’s the reason I left the brighter sky there to make the “spotlight” make more sense. I by all means don’t have a problem with sharing the raw file so here is it - straight out of camera (except for resizing and output sharpening):

~ RAW FILE ~

2 Likes

Beautiful image, Tom. The fog and the light are just perfect.

1 Like

Thank you Dennis, I’m glad that you like it!

Tom: How did I miss this :confused: :thinking:. Great capture of a magical moment. Congrats on a well deserved Editor’s Pick. >=))>

1 Like

Tom, congratulations for the EP selection for this fine image… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Tom,
Congratulations on the EP. Magical image!!!

1 Like

Thank you so much @Bill_Fach, @Paul_Breitkreuz and @David_Haynes!

Tom this is a wonderful image. The moment I saw it I was transported from my locked down home office into the woods we all miss dearly. Your image does for me what I hope my images do, cause the viewer to enter into the scene and get lost in it. Thank you and well done.