Burrowing Owl Juvi

Another one of the Juvi owls from earlier this summer. This one was just flying around like they tend to do and coming back to the nest site. Background is grasses and shrubs.

Specific Feedback Requested

I wish I didn’t clip that second foot.
I warmed this ever so slightly. Too warm?

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400 with 1.4 tc shot at 560mm, ISO 2000, f/8 at 1600 of a second, morning shot, hand held

3 Likes

Woah, coming right at you. Awesome eye contact. Excellent shot, David. Not too warm at all, and no worries from me about the clipped foot. They head/eyes capture your attention completely.

Stunning image, David. No thoughts for change from me… :sunglasses:

David, I love owls, but have yet to capture a photo of one. This is a stunning in-flight photo of this one. No nits here.

WOW!! Superb on all counts! Excellent pose with amazing sharpness and detail!

Wow, what a super catch David. “The eyes have it!” And I like the banking-type pose you caught, which adds to the feeling of action. Great feather detail also. I believe I’ve seen their nests in FL but have never spotted one while visiting there.

Excellent all-around, David. Caught my attention immediately.

An excellent image, David. The angle of the owl to you really creates a high impact image. I don’t know if it’s a tad of motion blur or what, but it looks like the head and feet are the sharpest parts of the image with the body just a touch soft.

Great flying pose against a nice background. Love it.

Love this one as presented. Well done and congrats on the EP…Jim

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on this image @David_Bostock, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Shirley_Freeman, @Diane_Miller, @Jim_Lockhart, @terryb, @Dennis_Plank, @Allen_Brooks, @Jim_Zablotny, @Keith_Bauer keith. I very much appreciate you taking the time to post a critique.

1 Like

@David_Haynes - ah, yes I wanted to add my comments. Been busy with Fall Colors photography in Colorado for the past few days and finally had a bit of time to study your image in more detail.

First, Wow… These guys are tough and to get one flying at you is great. The background is a nice compliment. I think your color balance looks fine. I don’t mind the second foot not being completely visible.

I wondered about a couple of things so did a bit of playing. The end result is a subtle change, but I think noticeable. Some targeted dodging, a TK Darks Triple Play, and a gentle freehand vignette.

See what you think.

Love the rework, Keith. Thanks for doing that. A very effective edit.
I am in Utah right now doing Fall color myself. Hope you are getting some terrific images. Looking forward to you sharing those.

Amazing image, David - you show good skills hearing capturing this one in flight. A well-deserved EP! I both like the original as the repost :wink: . Cheers, Hans

How in the world you got this!!? Wonderful right-on-the-money BIF with excellent eye-contact and anticipation of the next moment!

Hi David
This is a great photograph, the eyes are everything. Someday I hope to photograph Owls. The action, coloring and feather detail are spot on. I like how you warmed up the shot.
Very cool.
Peter