My gargoyle

I found this “sponge” rock several years ago. I did grind the bottom of it to get it to sit level otherwise this is what I found. It has it’s home on a rock wall in our backyard. It is approximately 5"x4."

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all comments are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Considered adding a tint for a more dramatic feel, thoughts? I did crop it on the bottom and right hand side a bit.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D7200, f/11, 1/3 sec., 100iso, 80mm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Creepy looking!!! Good choice for the weekly challenge.

Linda, that is a very gnarly looking “skull”. What a neat find!

I see why you call it the gargoyle, Linda. That’s a really neat rock and your lighting is perfect to bring out the features.

Linda, the rock looks amazingly like a skull. Perfect WC, I would say. You did a wonderful job with the lighting. The darker rock for a background makes it stand out well. :+1: :+1:

Looks very much like a natural skull of some poor creature…a nice find… :skull:

Thank you @Harley_Goldman, @Shirley_Freeman, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Mark_Seaver, @Dennis_Plank for your thoughts and comments. This was definitely a fun weekly challenge, not one to be taken too seriously.

1 Like

Linda, in my view, it’s always important to never “take ourselves too seriously”. Photography if phun. :wink:

1 Like

Nice find. We have quite a few rocks of this nature here where I live. Those holes are made by boring clams.

1 Like

Thanks @Igor_Doncov, I had no idea that was how the holes were made.

This definitely looks more like an alien skull than a rock, Linda! A unique rock and a great find that’s perfect for the challenge.

1 Like