pearly raindrops, 2003

Processed image:

Unprocessed scan:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On a rainy fall day touring the dirt roads of the White River National Forest, I stopped to explore the freshly fallen aspen leaves on the ground. The raindrops were perched so perfectly on this set of leaves that had a beautiful range of color. In this photograph, the moment and conditions came together to symbolize the season.
Bonus points for anyone who correctly identifies the reference in the title.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Captured in 2003 on Fuji Velvia 50 transparency film.
Processed in Lightroom to enhance contrast and widen color range slightly.

Matt, the variation of colors of the leaves is pleasing to the eye. The raindrops are an added bonus. This is no big deal, but I am wondering if you cropped it so that the darker leaf that is underneath the others in the bottom right corner, if it would improve the image. With all the other leaves bright, and that one right at the edge being darker, it seems to pull my eye. Could just be me. I have never been this successful in capturing such pretty leaves, especially with raindrops on them. Nice image.

1 Like

Excellent color range and composition, Matt.I could go either way on the dark patch that @Shirley_Freeman mentions. I was going to suggest that this would have been ideal for a stack until I noticed you did it on film-a bit harder there. I have never lived in aspen country and didn’t realize they got so red.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman and @Dennis_Plank.

Shirley, I could go either way on the the dark area, but I wouldn’t blame anyone for cropping to exclude it. I rather like the definition of the shape of the leaf it provides.

Dennis, I can understand anyone wondering if aspen leaves achieve the saturation you mentioned, so you may not be that surprised when you hear it was photographed with Fuji Velvia back in the day. I loved the saturation and color bias. I thought you might find it interesting to see the unprocessed scan so I’ve uploaded it. The processing is noticeable but subtle and perhaps unnecessary.

1 Like

Matt, this is a great collection of leaf colors with the clarity and detail in the raindrops a great added bonus. The extra contrast looks good also. My suggestion is that you do some “edge burning” along top, the brighter yellows, and the leaves above the dark area on the right. This should put more emphasis on the three main leaves and how they angle across the frame. It may also de-emphasize the dark strip in the lower right (which could be dodged).

1 Like

Matt: I loved Velvia and this brings back some fond memories. I still have a few rolls in my refrigerator and I’ve kept my old faithful Minolta M7 film camera but haven’t taken it out in years. I like the processing you did and the overall comp. There’s little sheen on the leaves so I wonder if you used a polarizer. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Bill - Thanks for your personal take. I admit I miss the color of Velvia, especially the cool colors. I have some in my fridge, too. And some unprocessed rolls. God only knows what’s on them but now I’m kinda curious. On this image, I couldn’t tell you if I used a polarizer. Perhaps. It was a long time ago.

Lovely image, Matt! Great sharp detail in your focus and the scanned image. I also like the composition with the red/green opposing each other on an oblique angle.

1 Like

Thanks so much Brenda.

Funny story that I think many of us can relate to. This composition was my second one at the same spot. During the first one, I dropped my cable release directly into the leaves I was about to photograph, and it ruined the composition. Funny because that detail sticks in my memory after 20 years.

A really attractive image you captured a long time ago Matt. The range of Fall colors are well represented and the composition is pleasing and well balanced. I purchased a Fujifilm camera last year and often use the velvia film sim.

1 Like

Hi Matt - somehow I missed your reply to my comment until just now! There is so much here at NPN and I sometimes lose my way. :slight_smile: That IS a funny story!! I have done similar things - like dropping tweezers that I use to remove pesky pine needles or dirt that I don’t want…and splat - there go the raindrops!

1 Like

@Jim_Lockhart Thanks for your comments and I apologize I didn’t see your response till now. Velvia was such a wonderful film for me and I used it exclusively for many years. My vision became finely tuned to it and I sought out scenes that benefited from its color gamut. If I owned a Fujifilm camera I would definitely experiment with the Velvia film sim.

@brenda_tharp Thank you for taking the time for another response! Our stories of mishaps with raindrops on leaves are certainly not unique. I think if you’ve done this long enough, you end up with some good stories.