Wolf Spider and Dinner Guest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image turned out to be more about lighting and focusing challenges and not so much about the subjects.

I have a ceramic planter with vines wrapped around it that serves as a natural hanger and it sits on my deck railing when not in use. I found a couple of large feathers and stuck them in the pot for the time being but I forgot about them for a while.
I noticed the other day that there was a thick spider web on the planter and around the feathers so I checked it out, turns out there was a large Wolf Spider in a hole crafted from the webbing as you can see in the first image.
To get a picture of the spider I had to use something that would restrict the light to a very small area so I made a long cone shaped cover out of black construction paper, then just waited for the darkness of night (I had to make sure the webbing above the spider wasn’t lit up).
Much to my surprise, that night there was a Yellow Jacket in the clutches of the spider so that was considered a bonus for me and the spider, but not the wasp :slight_smile:
As you can see from the second image, there was no way to get a clear shot of the spider and wasp so the makeshift light attachment is what made it possible, the severely OOF and dark webbing above the spider and wasp caused the focus to be somewhat soft.
I had to enhance the spider’s eyes a little and had to do a little cloning to get rid of some various insect parts that the spider had scattered about, these spiders are very messy, they tend to throw insect parts out but leave them near the web opening.

Specific Feedback

Anything constructive would be much appreciated.

Technical Details

a7RIV, 90mm macro lens, LED spot light w/homemade paper cone for concentrated light, 1/60s, f/16, ISO 100, 2 image focus stack, Ps for processing and stack.

6 Likes

This is really cool, Merv. I love your ingenuity in lighting this scene. Something I’ll have to remember. When you say LED spotlight are you talking about a big spotlight or a little tiny thing?

WOW!! SO cool!! The lighting trick paid off, as did the timing! No nits at all, not a teeny-tiny one.

Merv, this one is truly outstanding photographically & story telling wise too. Kind of brought to mind the old movie “Them”…as a kid that one really got my attention. I can’t add anything more than to say I really like this one a lot…very cool. … :sunglasses: :+1:

Merv, this is amazing. Getting the Yellow Jacket was a real bonus (for you, not the Yellow Jacket) as it added color and drama to the image. You managed the light well. Great shot!

Really cool image Merv. The perspective you captured is outstanding. Getting the yellow jacket is a real bonus. Nice lighting idea too. Well done.

As @Paul_Breitkreuz says, there’s a real cinematic feel to this, especially because of your clever lighting. Thanks for the shooting set-up shot too. And I like your frame that sets it off so well. Excellent shot, Merv!

1 Like

I can only agree with the others, Merv. This looks absolutely fantastic. Well done. :slight_smile:

Hi @Dennis_Plank, @Diane_Miller, @Shirley_Freeman, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Allen_Sparks, @Mike_Friel and @Jens_Ober, I really appreciate your positive comments, I wasn’t expecting this kind of response!! :slight_smile:

And sorry for being late to respond! I got busy with other things and almost forgot to come back to this since I rarely post anything of my own, hmm… another sign of getting old? :frowning:

Dennis, the spot light was just one of those cheap battery powered 2x2 inch LED panels made for close-up video work, not high powered at all but with the paper cone, the light was more intense and narrowly directed.
I did have to use a fair amount of contrast on the black parts to hide as much of the webbing above the spider and wasp as possible, I didn’t want to go too far with it because I didn’t want to lose any of the original image of the spider and wasp.

Paul, when you mentioned the old movie “Them” I was a bit lost but then it hit me what movie you were talking about, then I couldn’t help but laugh because I remembered in the movie where they were standing above a huge hole trying to kill the giant alien spider. Quite the movie for back then!! Thanks for reminding me of that movie and yes, this image does look very similar, I can see why you thought of it when you viewed this. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, all!
Much appreciated as always! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep meaning to come back and say just how much I love this. Spiders are my jam and so seeing one this close and this dramatically posed is one thing, but with dinner, too? And such dangerous dinner? Epic. Truly. I almost never want to submit a macro photo again. :laughing:

I did a bit of research because the Wolf spider ID seemed not right, but it may be. If I could see the eye pattern better I could be more definitive, but it’s not that important. In general wolf spiders don’t make webs except as ambush devices or hammocks (places to rest and hide), so that’s probably what this is. It is opposed to say an orb web weaver that does use the web as a device for catching prey. Funnel and sheet weavers do something similar if you follow. Anyway I’m so glad you took the trouble to get this shot. Wasn’t there a big old girl in Lord of the Rings, too? I seem to remember Frodo fighting with her.

Hi Kris and thank you much for the comments!!
You may be right about the ID not being quite right, the closest I could find since there was a funnel of sorts already there is a “Funnel-Web Wolf Spider” I didn’t know there was such a thing but either way, I didn’t see the spider making any repairs or making any part of the web.
Even though there was a funnel there, it was mostly covered by webbing so the funnel was obscured to a degree and that made the image (including the eyes) a little soft.
I enhanced the eyes a bit based on what was in the original file, my enhancement might not be completely accurate but I did the best I could with what I had.
I never had the chance to witness the spider capturing an insect, I did spend some time watching and I checked periodically but I always missed the action (except for the feeding part).
I felt very lucky to have captured this event as clear as it was, I tried not to edit much other than basic cleanup to keep it as original as possible and be able to produce an aesthetically pleasing image.

Yes, I believe so! That’s another great reference and I’m sure there are more since giant spiders are such a hit in movies like that, I mean, who doesn’t fanaticize about sleighing a giant spider, right! :laughing:

Thanks again, Kris! :slight_smile:

I want to commend you on your use of the homemade snoot. The results are mesmerizing and oh, so moody. Love it!

1 Like

Wonderful Merv, both the technique and end result. Love the dark tones, the hairy legs, and the bright yellow… they all just work so well together.
BUT, it does bring back an old memory. Some time ago I was bitten by a wolf spider and it wasn’t pleasant. I had been gardening and sat on the lawn for a break, but a wolf spider obviously became trapped under one knee so it decided to chew its way out of trouble.

Lovely shot.
Cheers.

1 Like

Wow Merv! This is a fantastic image! I really love the colors and dark mood of this. It reminds me of Shelob in Lord of The Rings. I love how you made the snoot to get light on the subjects but not the webbing, and your general clean up work. The end results are excellent!

Normally when I like an image this much I would show it to my wife, but it would be cruel in this case. She wouldn’t be able to sleep for a month!

Excellent work!

1 Like

Ouch!!! :open_mouth: That does not sound good at all!

Thank you so much for the positive comments, Phil! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the positive comments, Steve! :slight_smile:
Cool! Yet another movie reference that I had not thought of so thanks for that one! :slight_smile:

:smiley: Yeah, I know a few people that have nightmares from just glancing at an image of a spider and this one does seem to have a somewhat ominous presence to it.

Personally, I’m more frightened by the Yellow Jacket than the spider, a sting from a Yellow Jacket feels like a sharp pointed hammer just hit me, I’m not allergic but the pain from a Yellow Jacket sting is one that’s impossible to forget. :open_mouth:

@Shirley_Freeman, thank you so much for the EP! I really didn’t expect to get this kind of response on this image.

Thanks again, all! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great find, and beautifully photographed!

Merv, this was an excellent image and it is nice to see it received the well deserved EP selection in the Macro/Closeup Category. Well done…Cheers !.. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you, Max!
So sorry I missed including you in my initial “Thank you” response, it was an oversight! :frowning:

And thank you, @J_Fritz_Rumpf and @Paul_Breitkreuz for your kind comments! I really appreciate them and you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Marvin
I was leaving the sight, when I saw your Wolf Spider & Dinner Guest.
All I can say is WOW!!!
Peter

1 Like

@Merv Congratulations on this image being selected 1st place in this category for the year of 2023 on NPN. Truly one of the best closeup / macro scenes I’ve ever seen posted here over my MANY years I’ve been a member of this outstanding photographic community…A BIG HIGH 5 :raised_hand: